Unfortunately, we are not able to accept applications at this time due to reaching full capacity for this program.
SAFE HAVEN FOR PETS & PACKS PROGRAM
HEART’s “SAFE HAVEN FOR PETS & PACKS PROGRAM” is exclusively offered to homeless pet owners in Orange County, California, who meet certain criteria. We thank the Marry Jo & Hank Greenberg Welfare foundation and others who have supported and enables us to continue this program for so many years and bring such needed services to deserving pets and people.
The purpose of this program is to keep pets and their owners united, safe, and healthy during their transition from homelessness to being housed and to assist pet owners in keeping their pets with them while in temporary/emergency shelters and after they move on to permanent housing.
HEART’s unique program provides a tremendous opportunity for homeless pet owners to remain with their beloved and loyal companions by eliminating the “choice” between staying homeless with their pets or being housed and forced to relinquish their pets.
SERVICES PROVIDED FOR PETS UNDER THIS PROGRAM MAY INCLUDE:
Boarding and/or foster care; Transportation of pets; Spaying/Neutering; Microchipping; Parasite control; Dental care; Other medical/healthcare as needed; Grooming; Socialization/training; Emotional Support Animal (“ESA”) certification.
All pets entering our program must be spayed/neutered and microchipped. If a pet is not already spayed/neutered and/or microchipped, HEART or one of the veterinary hospitals with whom HEART works, will perform those services at no cost to the pet owner upon entering the program.
TO BE ELIGIBLE TO PARTICIPATE IN THE PROGRAM, PET OWNERS WHO NEED CARE FOR THEIR PETS, WHETHER IT BE FOR A FEW HOURS, ONE DAY, ONE WEEK OR LONGER, MUST:
1) Be entering a drug or physical rehabilitation facility; or
2) Be entering a hospital/medical care facility; or
3) Have an appointment with a physician; or
4) Have employment; or
5) Have a job interview; or
6) Be attending vocational training; or
7) Possibly have another “qualifying” situation which requires temporary care of their pet; AND
8) Have no other safe place where their pet(s) can be cared for during any of the above situations.
PET OWNERS MUST ALSO:
1) Be motivated to move forward on a positive path towards ending his/her homelessness through working with a healthcare professional or other professional service provider or organization which can assist pet owner in taking the necessary steps to acquire the help needed.
2) Be able to provide proof of #1 above through that professional or organization contacting HEART to verify certain required information.
3) Read, understand, and agree to the terms and conditions contained in the two documents below entitled “Program Application” and “Agreement & Waiver”. If pet owner has difficulty reading or understanding any of the information contained in those documents, it is the responsibility of the pet owner to obtain assistance from someone who is able to clearly describe and explain all information contained in the documents.
PARTICIPATION REQUEST PROCESS:
PET OWNER OR PET OWNER’S CASE WORKER MUST COMPLETE BOTH FORMS BELOW and EMAIL TO: [email protected] or fax to: (657) 444-2210. Please allow us enough time to receive & process your Application. This may take as little as a few hours or as long as several days, depending on our case load. IF the situation is urgent where the pet owner requires immediate admittance into a healthcare facility, please write “URGENT” on the top portion of the Application and if emailing, in the subject line of that email. You may also try contacting us by phone.